Gravestones - A 28mm Terrain Article
Written by Tony Harwood Thursday, 04 October 2012 06:00
Architecture of Valon
A Simple Modelling Materclass
Flintloque is Alternative Armies Unique 28mm Napoleonique black powder skirmish game.
To see the full range of Flintloque content hosted on Barking Irons click here.
In previous Masterclasses I have detailed how I built and painted various pieces of ‘scratch-built’ terrain. This weekend after a busy couple of days I just wanted some fun, a simple modelling project that was not going to tax me. Searching through my ‘bits box’ I came across some white metal castings of headstones that I had purchased last year. The models were sold with plastic bases and cost no more that £2.00 for the whole set. I had bought them to build a larger graveyard, maybe even a themed terrain board, but as with many modelling projects – the impedes had gone and the models were now doomed to be scrap metal. Until I decided to base and paint them.
Originally there were thirteen pieces (plus bases) but I have already cannibalised one model and the others were destined for the same fate.
I cut six simple ovals of plastic card, some 3mm thick and others 5mm.
With nothing more than superglue I stuck down twelve of the thirteen headstones. As you can see there are single headstone bases, pairs of headstones and even one base of three headstones.
The groundwork was built up with DAS modelling clay over a layer of uPVA glue. The bases were roughly textures as there would be further layers added later on.
The texturing was simple sieved sand and fine grit over uPVA glue. Where the glue looked weak, I have added some thin superglue.
Shows this in greater detail.
The basic colours were Snakebite Leather for the groundwork and various greys for the headstones. I have tried for some slight variation in the colour of headstones.
Drybrushing has brought out all the base textures and I have also picked out some of the larger stones with a mix of Chaos Black and Skull White.
I have ‘washed’ both the headstones and the area around the base of the headstones with Black and Sepia washes from GW.
A close up shot of the three headstone base.
The six bases (ten headstones) taken in glorious bright sunshine, showing the basing finished. I have used my usual dyed sawdust with the occasional spot of static grass.
Yet another close up.
This image shows the new headstone bases (ten) mixed in with some of my older ‘scratch-built’ headstones. There is a difference of over three years between these two sets, but the older models have held up well in this period. Following this shot, I re-flocked the bases of the older headstones to refresh the dyed sawdust basing.
The six bases alongside Chastity, one of the lady-like Orcs currently residing with Uncle Rogipoos.
Finally Chastity and two of the headstone bases. From start to finish these six simple models have taken about four hours and cost less than £2.00.
I am certain these headstones (and the older sets) will be seeing action in both Catalucia and The Witchland over the next year. I am planning on taking better and more detailed photos once the better weather sets-in.
Finally, I thought it would be worth stating why I had decided to mount some of these headstones on multiple bases rather than singly.
I had in the past always bases these simple models singly, however experience has shown that a mix is the better course, allowing small single bases when needed and multiple basing when larger full table coverage is necessary. I have no real preference as to which is better; I just think a mix of the two styles makes more sense.
There is no reason why you shouldn’t have a similar collection of headstones – as there are now plastic sets available for just a few pounds and there is always the option of ‘scratch-building’ a set. Plus a graveyard in Flintloque/Deadloque is almost a pre-requisite as far as themed terrain pieces are concerned.